Is the second largest municipality in the Pongau with an area of 153 km² square kilometres, currently has 3000 inhabitants, two kindergartens and three schools and is with the fortress of Hohenwerfen and the ice caves home to two of the eleven top sights of Salzburg.
The Name…Werfen is derived from the middle-aged word "werve" (vortex, whirlpool) and describes the place where the Salzach is "whirled" at the foot of the castle. Since there was no map in former times, one assumes that the name Werfen is derived from the terrain.
Namely, Werfen was mentioned:
1077 Castle Castrum Weruen
1296 Werfen, Berffen, Weriffen
oft the market Werfen, in the divided shield above in gold, shows the growing forward form of a pilgrim with a red robe, a black coat, and a uniformly bonnet-like hat, holding a pilgrim's rod in the right.
The official coat of arms of the Province of Salzburg confirms that Werfen was already referred to as a market in 1242, has been able to display market privileges since 1425 and has a coat of arms on the country maps of the “Erzstift”. The pilgrim is explicitly called as a Saint Roch in the nineteenth century; the dog is its sacred attribute (as such usually bread).
Short look in the past
The market town of Werfen is embedded between Hochkönig, Tennengebirge and Hagengebirge in the Pongau, about 40 km south of Salzburg. First settlements have been found since the later Neolithic period (4000-1800 BC). At all times the strategic location was recognized and used.
In order to secure his lands against attacks during the investiture period in the 11th century (1076 - 1122) Archbishop Gebhard had bulit the "Veste" Werfen. Around the castle arose the Markt Werfen, probably starting from 1190 as place and already called 1242 as “marckt”. It thus ranks among Salzburg's oldest markets, since iron production and processing have always been important economic foundations. The place developed into an important commercial court and administrative centre.
Sadly, Werfen received witchcraft (1675-1690) and Protestant (1731/32) tragedy. More than 4,000 adherents of Lutheran teaching had to leave their homeland in the 18th century. During the Napoleonic Wars, at the beginning of the nineteenth century, the owner and host of the nearby Stegenwald Josef Struber defended his homeland heroically with his marksmen. September 25, 1809: Joseph Struber, Kapuzinerpater Joachim Haspinger, Peter Sieberer and Georg Laner from the Passey Valley fight for the Pass Lueg. On this event, the historical strugglers retreat.
In the years between 1675 and 1690, Archbishop Max Gandolf of Kuenburg had over 150 people executed in the Archdiocese of Salzburg for alleged sorcery and sorcery. Much of them were children and adolescents. With this approach, he also wanted to combat the begging of the poorest of the poor. The focus was on the trial of Barbara Koller, a deportee in the Werfen area, and thus members of a socially ostracized group called “Schinderbärbel”, and her son, Jakob Koller, who was called “Schinderjackl”.
In 1731-32, a great Protestant law was passed. The Salzburg exiles were about 20,000 Protestant faith refugees from the Fürsterzbistum Salzburg, who had to leave their home because of an expulsion from 1731. Most of the exiles were taken by Prussia. More than 4,000 followers of Luther's teaching had to leave the Werfen area.
Fights at Pass Lueg
During the Napoleonic Wars the defending champion and landlord of the nearby Stegenwald Josef Struber defended the defense of the pass, because the Austrian military had not been able to hold him any longer. (September 25, 1809 Joseph Struber, Kapuzinerpater Joachim Haspinger, Peter Sieberer and Georg Laner from the Passeyertal fight for the Pass Lueg). It was only after the peace treaty on October 20, 1809, that he handed over the pass. Salzburg became part of Bavaria in 1810. On this event, the historical strugglers retreat. In honor of Josef Struber in 1898, the “Joseph Struber Verein” erected a monument on the passport according to a design by the sculptor Hubert Spannring.
Coin treasure of Werfen
In 1969, on the site of the Lichtenberghaus (market 20) the coin treasures of Werfen were found, about a thousand gold coins and silver coins buried in the early modern times. It is the largest treasure ever found in Salzburg. The treasure is displayed in the Salzburg Museum.