The Capuchin Church was built in Werfen in 1736 as a missionary station to prevent the spread of Lutheranism. One of the tasks entrusted to the Capuchins was to support the local priest in the performance of his spiritual duties, which also manifested itself in them holding sermons on high church holidays after 1839. In 1938, the monastery was commandeered by the National Socialists. It was restored to the order in 1945, though, due to a failure to attract a new generation, it was ultimately dissolved and sold off. Today, the abbey church is owned by the charity “Mensch werde gesund”.
Every 2nd and 4th Saturday in the month, a vespers service is held in the abbey church at 7 p.m. (6 p.m. in winter).