The Werfen parish church we know today was built from 1652 – 1657 and is consecrated to St. James the Greater, designed according to the plans of Salzburg court architect Johann Baptist Driesche. The tower as we recognize it today was remodeled in 1775/76, when an additional floor was added, capped off by a baroque onion dome. The general renovations conducted from 1991 to 2002 first addressed the building structure as well as the interior, during which the wallpaper-like ornamental murals were restored with the help of original artefacts and old photographs. The onion dome was also retiled with larch-wood shingles.
The church is open to the general public!